Let’s begin this morning with a song…
Scripture Memory Verse – Throughout advent, we are learning John 1:14. I’m going to give you the whole verse, but the plan is to learn the first half over the next two weeks and then add the second half to it. However you want to go about this, I invite you to learn this verse with us.
John 1:14 “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
Advent Video Peace – Shalom: “Peace”
Today we relight the candle of HOPE. Now we light the candle for the second Sunday in Advent. This is the candle of PEACE. As we prepare for the coming of Jesus, we remember that Jesus is our hope and our peace. From the prophet Isaiah:
“For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” —Isaiah 9:6-7
From the Gospel of John:
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”—John 14:27
Let us pray:
Sometimes we think we need to manufacture peace, but Isaiah tells us that you are the prince of peace. Sometimes we think we need to attain it, but John records your words telling us you have already gifted peace to us. Thank you for the gift of peace through Jesus. Thank you for this relationship that gives us peace with God for eternity and the peace of God in the present.
Peace is first and foremost brought to us through Jesus restoring us to relationship with God as he entered our world with the purpose of dying in our place as payment for our sins. Let’s sing…
Before we close, I just want to share a few announcements:
- Jaffray Missions Offering
November 29th – December 13th we will be collecting a special offering for missions. This offering will be distributed to our local and global ministry partners before the end of December. This is a great way to be generous during advent. If you are able to give over and above your regular offering, we invite you to do so by indicating “Missions” through your preferred giving option (E transfer, Canada Helps, Envelope). Thank you in advance for your generosity.
- Christmas Eve
We are planning two services for Christmas Eve. The first will be at 6:30pm and will be an outdoor service. This will allow us to have up to 100 people gathered together AND we will be inviting our neighbours in the apartment to join us from their balconies.
The second service will be a ZOOM service starting at 8pm. This will allow those who are not able to join us in person a way to gather and worship together on Christmas Eve too.
- Kids Zoom – a reminder that Zoom Kids Church is this Wednesday, 4:15-5:15 PM for those Preschool to Grade 3, and from 7-8 PM for those Grades 4-8. Keep an eye out for the link that will be sent out from the church office.
- Youth – Youth continues Friday at 7pm. Watch for an email to RSVP your attendance. Our primary youth leaders this year will be Amy & Cam Golberg and Josh and Charline Cleaver.
- Prayer Meeting – No prayer meeting this week as the Leadership and Elders teams will be meeting. Please feel free to pray for your leaders as they meet on Tuesday evening.
- Office schedule – The Office is open Monday to Thursday. Visits continue to be by appointment only at this time, so be sure to call ahead or email. Katie can be reached at email@example.com, Pastor Greg can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, Pastor Dave can be reached at email@example.com, and Pastor Cam can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
I encourage you to do two things with your giving that may help a little.
- Do your giving each week as part of this devotional/worship time. I know it is not exactly the same thing, but it does help us view our giving as worship rather than simply a financial transaction
- Take time to pray as you give. Thank God for what he has given to you, acknowledge your trust in him for tomorrow, and tell him why you give to him and the work of his church.
- Best – E-Transfer (no fees)
- email@example.com is the email address you will need to make an e-transfer
- Please include your first and last name in the memo box
- If you know your envelope number please include it in the memo box (*Do not include the # sign as it will not accept that)
- Still good, but with fees – Canada Helps
- https://bayridgealliance.ca/give-with-canada-helps/ and click on the donate button to give
Thank you for honouring God by supporting the Church.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’