This morning it is Pentecost Sunday. Originally one of the Jewish festivals, it is today, for Christians, a celebration of the coming of the Holy Spirit as Jesus promised. The Holy Spirit is often referred to as our advocate, counselor, help, and guide among many other names. We are told throughout the scriptures that the Holy Spirit dwells in God’s people and empowers us for Holy living.
Let’s begin our morning reading about the Spirit from John 15:26-16:15 and then we will sing together a song of invitation welcoming the Spirit among us.
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
16 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”
Scripture Memory Verse – This week we are going to start learning Ephesians 4:29
Ephesians 4:29 – “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Before we close, I just want to share a few announcements:
- District Worship Night Online – This coming Tuesday, in place of our regular prayer meeting we are invited to participate in the online Worship Night with our District from 7-8:30pm. In order to participate you will need to register with our district through the following link https://easterndistrict.ca/district-conference-registration-plenary-session/
- BAC Annual General Meeting – We have decided to stay with our original date of Sunday, May 30th at 6:30pm, but the meeting will now be online only. Please pre-register by emailing your name and the email address you would like the meeting link sent to. Registration can be sent to Pastor Dave at email@example.com. The link will be sent out during the afternoon of May 30th.
- Kids Zoom – No Kids Zoom this week
- Youth – Youth will continue online this week. Please watch for the link mid-week.
- Office schedule – The Office is closed due to the province wide lock down. We will still be monitoring our emails from home. Katie can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, Pastor Greg can be reached at email@example.com, Pastor Dave can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, Pastor Cam can be reached at email@example.com.
I encourage you to do two things with your giving that may help a little.
- Do your giving each week as part of this devotional/worship time. I know it is not exactly the same thing, but it does help us view our giving as worship rather than simply a financial transaction
- Take time to pray as you give. Thank God for what he has given to you, acknowledge your trust in him for tomorrow, and tell him why you give to him and the work of his church.
- Best – E-Transfer (no fees)
- firstname.lastname@example.org is the email address you will need to make an e-transfer
- Please include your first and last name in the memo box
- If you know your envelope number please include it in the memo box (*Do not include the # sign as it will not accept that)
- Still good, but with fees – Canada Helps
- https://bayridgealliance.ca/give-with-canada-helps/ and click on the donate button to give
Thank you for honouring God by supporting the Church.
Prayer – Please take some time to pray for the Baetz family and for the ministry of the church as you close.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’