November 8, 2020
Let’s begin doing this today by reading Psalm 139…
You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Scripture Memory Verse – Let’s spend a little bit of time reviewing the verse we learned last week. If you are going over this at home, use the time to pray through this verse. What is good about the Lord? What are some of the troubles he has seen you through in the past and what are the troubles you need his refuge from now? Declare your trust in his care for you
Nahum 1:7 “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust him.”
In Psalm 139:1 it we read, “You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.” He knows who we are at our best and our worst. We often tell ourselves that if God or others knew who we really are, they wouldn’t want to be in any sort of relationship with us. People go to great lengths to manage what people know about them and yet we cannot hide things from God.
As we watch this “I Am Second” video this morning, we’re going to hear a testimony that reminds us that God does not simply look at that one part of our life that we want to hide. He searches us and knows us from beginning to end. He knows that the things he calls us to will happen because he will stick with us and he will enable us because he knows who he has made us to be.
- What are some of the things that you believe God has called you to? These may be things that have come to be or you are still waiting/preparing for? (Be Bold)
- Are there reasons you give to God and yourself as to why this can’t happen? (Again, be bold)
Let’s spend some time to prayer about the things that have been shared with us this morning. You may want to keep Psalm 139 in mind as we pray.
Before we close, I just want to share a few announcements:
- Christmas Cheer Drive – On December 5, we’re going to have a “Christmas Cheer Drive”, collecting food and Blessing Bags for distribution in our community. If you’re familiar with our Cart to Cupboard basket we’ve had in the foyer, this year it’s more of a Car to Cupboard. No matter your current situation, we’re going to have a way for you to participate – from us coming to you, to you collecting throughout your neighbourhood. More news to follow!
- Kids Zoom – a reminder that Zoom Kids Church is this Wednesday, 4:15-5:15 PM for those Preschool to Grade 3, and from 7-8 PM for those Grades 4-8. Keep an eye out for the link that will be sent out from the church office.
- Youth – Youth is back on Fridays at 7pm. Watch your email for further details. Our primary youth leaders this year will be Amy & Cam Golberg and Josh and Charline Cleaver.
- Prayer – It is an elder/leadership meeting this Tuesday so no formal prayer gathering, though we value your prayers while we meet on Tuesday evening
- Office schedule – The Office is open Monday to Thursday. Visits continue to be by appointment only at this time, so be sure to call ahead or email. Katie can be reached at email@example.com, Pastor Greg can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Pastor Dave can be reached at email@example.com.
I encourage you to do two things with your giving that may help a little.
- Do your giving each week as part of this devotional/worship time. I know it is not exactly the same thing, but it does help us view our giving as worship rather than simply a financial transaction
- Take time to pray as you give. Thank God for what he has given to you, acknowledge your trust in him for tomorrow, and tell him why you give to him and the work of his church.
- Best – E-Transfer (no fees)
- firstname.lastname@example.org is the email address you will need to make an e-transfer
- Please include your first and last name in the memo box
- If you know your envelope number please include it in the memo box (*Do not include the # sign as it will not accept that)
- Still good, but with fees – Canada Helps
- https://bayridgealliance.ca/give-with-canada-helps/ and click on the donate button to give
Thank you for honouring God by supporting the Church.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’