June 7 – Devotional
As we begin this morning, I want us to start by inviting the Lord to speak to us this morning as we sing Speak Now Jesus (sorry for any pop up ads)
It has been a bit of an overwhelming week in our world in regards to something other than COVID-19. We have watched and likely reacted in some way to the death of George Floyd. While this happened in one country, it has again reminded us around the world about racial injustice that continues to take place and I think it reminds us that there are many other forms of injustice as well.
I must admit that my own experience of this has been minimal, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t impacting people around me including friends. I’m thankful that our family of churches, the Christian and Missionary Alliance, has prepared a few short resources to speak to this issue by people who experience the reality closer to home than I do as I feel deeply inadequate to speak to it. I want to share one of these videos with you this morning and then invite us to spend some time in prayer together.
Here are a few prompts to help us as we begin to pray…
- Invite God to reveal his heart on the issue of racial injustice to us
- Acknowledge and repent of our own involvement
- Invite God to heal our land
As we wrap up this morning, I want to ask the following question,
“How do you interact with God and his word?”
I ask this for a couple of reasons. First of all is to draw our attention to whether or not we are interacting with God and his word. This is not an archaic thing to do, rather it is crucial for us to be able to know and follow him. The second reason is that I want us to start sharing more with people what we are reading and more importantly what God is speaking to us through this. Different people will have different practices because of the uniqueness of themselves, but all are capable of hearing from God. To share this with others may initially feel awkward or even forced, but that says to me that we have over personalized our relationship with God and forgotten that he wants to use our lives for the good of others as well.
Before we close, I just want to share a few announcements:
- Although regular office hours are suspended we continue to work. If you need anything please contact Pastor Dave (email@example.com) or myself (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Feel free to share this and other email communications with others. Some from the church are not on the email list and we have had a few that have not received it even though they are on the list. Please help us make sure that people are keeping connected.
- VBC – We have made the decision this year to cancel VBC due to the limitations and uncertainty around COVID-19. We are, however, working towards something weekly for our kids through the summer.
I encourage you to do two things with your giving that may help a little.
- Do your giving each week as part of this devotional/worship time. I know it is not exactly the same thing, but it does help us view our giving as worship rather than simply a financial transaction
- Take time to pray as you give. Thank God for what he has given to you, acknowledge your trust in him for tomorrow, and tell him why you give to him and the work of his church.
- Best – E-Transfer (no fees)
- email@example.com is the email address you will need to make an e-transfer
- Please include your first and last name in the memo box
- If you know your envelope number please include it in the memo box (*Do not include the # sign as it will not accept that)
- Still good, but with fees – Canada Helps
- https://bayridgealliance.ca/give-with-canada-helps/ and click on the donate button to give
Thank you for honouring God by supporting the Church.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’